What of the hardest questions for me to answer from other college students is, “so what do you want to be?” or “so what are you going to do?”
I know I want to serve the public, without the purpose of generating wealth, and I really hope not to influence others in the important decisions of their lives. I wish only to listen and work for a good cause of the benefiting society. I wish to work for benevolence, and also wish to write a book about it. Eventually if I have the right cause, I’d like to study law. But first, I wish to start humbly. I noticed that I listen well to others, but am awkward when conversating.
I was speaking with rob, and he immediately asked, “can I sit with you?”
“yes!” I answered energetically
So what are you studying for
I said, “my precalculus class right now, and I have a few other classes.”
“precalculus, for what?”
This is exactly where I felt uncomfortable, I didn’t like talking about myself, or what I was doing. I reasoned that he was an extrovert that liked dialogue. I also remembered the man I watched in the Titan student union who communicated, and even reminded me of my step father. The man, was giving short simple, but “kind” words, as he busied his hands subtly communicating the speaker’s dismissal. I was annoyed at the man because why would he dismiss another student? Was the man introverted? Why would he avoid conversation? This observation stuck with me as I watched him communicate.
As I was speaking with Rob, I told him, “My next class is at 4”
We were speaking and he spoke about his dark past to me, I felt as if he was confessing some of his past, and had a guilty conscience. I had a feeling of judgement but told him, “a lot of people make decisions based on the environment that they are in.” I said this with the purpose to make him understand that he shouldn’t be hard on himself for what he’s done.
Rob spoke a lot of his feelings, and I understand him to be very in tune with himself, and I never thought that he was “gay” or “flamer” type of personality.
Rob spoke to me about the “canteberry tales” and how he was struggling in the class. I was sure to remind him that if he would do the work, “it would be most rewarding”, he immediately agreed.
My purpose for speaking with him was to show my difference with challenging other students, and lifting the par of excellence. I don’t wish to be different, so that I can be in the spot light, I wish to be different because I believe in something higher.
I was even sure to speak of what my professor was mentioning, and trying to teach us.
Rob said, “I’m usually one to speak up during class, but for this class, I find myself quiet during this class. I’ve always stayed away from Shakespeare, and Chaucer, and I’m in the class full of students who already know who this person is.”
He is in the best environment in my opinion.
I put my fist under my chin, and I listened to every word he was speaking to me about. I thought in my head about his sign, and I remembered that he was a Cancer, and a fighter. I have a unique admiration for Cancers because my cousin nick was, so I have a special tenderness toward him.
I spoke to him of my recent decision to not pursue a law degree. I said, “poly sci classes are full of people who want law degrees for the sake of having law degrees. A lot of them talk about how important they are that they know important people working for the attorney general, and how great their recommendation letters are going to be. One student totally failed the LSAT, but is still pursuing a law degree, why? If you fail the LSAT , that probably means you’re not ready for a law career. “
The thing that changed my mind was I was watching youtube, of a person who was going to be a lawyer, but instead of persecuting criminals, she decided to get involved with the youth to prevent them.”
Why I was going into detail about this, I’m not sure, but I felt a need to justify my actions.
“but can you teach math?”
“as long as I can get in the ring, I can fight”. I said.
“But there’s so many English majors, and the job won’t pay much” Rob said, I could tell he was nervous about making a spiritual reward.
I even rapibly changed the subject and said, “you know what my pet peeves are? People who pursue law degrees for the sake of having them. And also one of my History teachers said, ‘and the study would be for you to focus on yourself…’ I don’t agree with that because I think that is what is wrong with American character, to individualistic, to sensualist, to “in the now”…”
He replied, “one of my other teachers said that too”
So I know that they are trying to brainwash the public to not worry about others.
I didn’t stop speaking with Rob until he dismissed me, I never motioned to leave for myself.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment