Saturday, April 18, 2009

Individuality, Family, and Graduating College

I have been learning much about leadership, and college careers from leadership meetings from my peers. I watched a movie about joining the Federal Government workforce because more than "30 percent" of the current workforce will soon retire. The video showed the american flag, and spoke about the "jolly" good side of working for the government. Yet, I felt conflicting feelings when watching the film. I somehow knew that since I go to a state funded school, they were showing "pro-state" information with heavy influence of marketing and advertising. I doubted that the federal government was as good as it preached.
I have been hearing alot of concerns of graduating students regarding their shaky "careers". One woman said, "I graduated with a degree in communication, and all I have right now is a part time job. So, FOR MYSELF, I am just curious about another workforce."

Another woman I met was named Shayla who said, "I'm graduating in Kinso, and will go to graduate school at Loma Linda college, you know, for stage two in my life. I wouldn't mind working with kids..."

I have been reading about 'family domestic life' and most people who choose marriage sacrifice their own personal ambition or professional careers. Some sacrifice "public service" for "domestic, or home life". I think our culture thinks the solution is public, self interested careers, and "Alpha-Male" Leadership.

I am beginning to think that "Alpha-Male leadership", or dominance toward opposition using power, fear, and manipulation, can not work. The highest leadership is when the servants freely give themselves toward the cause because in their hearts, they believe it to be just, true, and Godly.

I think the Communication graduate has it all backwards. To me it is obvious that she never questioned her purpose toward her study. Why did she choose to study communication? What does she wish to work for? And whom? I think that if she knew what she wanted to work for, and aimed herself and doing it, she would instead be asking, "How can I go further with my cause?" As opposed to, "I graduated college and all I have is a part time job." This implies her thought process: I followed all the right steps, why do I have something so unrewarding?

In contrast, I have a part-time job, and am still a student, but see the beauty of working with kids. I couldn't be more grateful for what I am working with and toward.

Alpha Male Dominance does not work well with children who are naturally rebellious. There is a kid I work with named Joe Smith who has an emotional disfunction and is prone to becoming depressed. On Friday he had a heavy spell of depression and instead of playing basketball, walked by himself to sit alone in the soccer field. I asked my coworker, "Hey, what's up with Joe?"
He replied, "Oh, he just has a disorder, he won't talk to anybody when he gets like that."

I immediately knew that Joe didn't want to speak with anyone. Talking wasn't the answer, he desired for someone just to sit with him. So I grabbed to cups of orange juice and went over there and sat with him. I gave him mostly silence and let him know that I was willing to sit with him until he was ready to get up. He knew it too.

WHile I was sitting with Joe, I had sensed the causes of his troubles and anxiety. I begun to question why this child had issues with depression. It made me think, with compassion, issues at home regarding Father/Son issues, economic issues, abusive issues, and many others. I begun to step into the world, the very very difficult world, of Joe Smith. I think he wanted someone to understand why he was the way he was. I think I received just a vague Idea of it. This was more real to me than any ideological struggle, debate, or historical concept.

I pray to have my abilities, wisdom, and leadership skills sharpened because I live in a difficult time.

Active Leadership!

No comments:

Post a Comment