Wednesday, May 27, 2009

George and Laura Bush

I am reading a biography on George Bush and Laura Welch. I am not finished yet, but I completed the part where bush finished his undergraduate studies at Yale, and completed his tour as a national guardsmen. But he never actually flew any flights, and when he applied to fly a tour in Vietnam he was actually denied permission. This proves that either his father protected him from action, or his was an inept aviator pilot. During his years at private school, Andover, he began drinking at the age of 19 and continued until he was 40 years old. His alcoholism continued until he was married for ten years and had two daughters that were already 4 years. He drank for a very long time. Another important note, George Herbert Walker Bush, and his father both attended Yale with extraordinary academic records. However, W. was accepted into Yale with Reading and Math scores one hundred points below the other accepted students. Yale reserves the right to judge applicants on other factors relating to personal characteristics not regarding academics. Ironically, Bush held a reputation as a "slobby obnoxious womanizer", and was still accepted. According to Christopher Anderson, "it didn't hurt that W.'s father was an ambassador for the United States". Bush completed his undergraduate studies in History ranked 5th from the bottom, and then begun an oil business that nearly bankrupted. Bush found investors easier than profits, probably because of his "name". After one oil drilling stint, Bush lost $160,000 dollars out of his own pocket. I think that because of his father's social status, W. was allowed second and third chances in his life and personal career. As W. reached 24, 25,26, he was a full blown alcoholic, lived in a terrible studio apartment, and was struggling in his oil business. But he never completely tanked. I believe that if his situation would have been in the shoes of a black man, the outcome would have been completely different. If a black man was a full blown alcoholic, nearly bankrupted his oil business, and lost $160,000 out of his own money he would have been forced to migrate toward the suburbs.
Despite W.'s shortcomings, drug use, and addictions, he managed to get accepted to Harvard Business school. This is unimaginable in my eyes because how could a bottom student from Yale be worthy of Harvard? Is it true that "once an aristocrat, always an aristocrat"? After Harvard Business school I believe Bush was in his 30's. He continued his oil company, Albusto Oil Drilling company, which earned a reputation for "Al-bust-o", and was later bought out by a leading texas oil drilling corporation. Bush was engaged, for a second time, to a middle class woman named Laura Welch, who was soft spoken, and elegant. They were married at the age of 31 as W. ran for government office and lost overwhelmingly. Later, he ended up buying shares of the Texas Rangers for $600,000 dollars and was returned with 14.9 million dollars a decade later. As he neared his forties he became sober cold turkey after Laura nagged him subtley, and after a party which he puked his brains out. Eventually he was elected as the governor of Texas, and was re-elected with a "big win" in 1995. In 1998, his father began strategizing the GOP nomination and put him in contact with prestigious advisors such as Condi Rice in foreign relations, who tutored him with Pakistani and Musharraf relations, and Dick Cheney, and Donald Rumsfeld, and fierce campaign organizer Atwood. Atwood was ruthless mudslinger who later would die of a brain tumor and would come to regret his campaign tactics. As McCain sought the nomination and challenged W. in the primary, the Bush Dream Team attempted to bring McCain into their cabinet but later decided against it because McCain was seen as a "self-seeking Maverick". Powell was a first choice for the secretary of defense, but he opted for the secretary of state. In 2000, I believe W. and Laura were close to their 50s when they were elected the 43rd president of the United States.

I think that W.'s outlook on his wealthy status is frustrating because he accused the liberals of "feeling bad because they were rich, some people are rich and some people are poor. Everybody gets a chance at success in their lives." W. has a Rockefeller, Carnegie aspect of wealth and compassion toward other classes, he didn't understand why liberals hated themselves and wanted to "give themselves" to the lower classes. I disagree with this aspect of life.

I was reading about Greece today in one of my elementary tutoring sessions and found that the "oligarchy" means rule by few. Also Greece was ruled by the aristocrats, or wealthy classes, and was not a direct democracy. I think America pulls alot of influence from Greece. We study Plato's republic, our calendars are named after Roman emperors (augustus, Mark, Julius) who were also influenced by Greece, Athens, and Sparta. I am questioning the fact that our nation is much different from the aristocratic monopoly on power that old world Empire's contained, controlled, and kept away from the working classes. If I wanted to conduct a social experiment with myself and challenged the social order of America, how should I proceed?

I think the best way is to become a more dominant citizen. Biking, education, and volunteering for powerful institutions are a key toward my successes, but other than that, the odds are slim. Today, I think I accepted the fact that I would never get accepted to an Ivy League School, and that greatly irritates me. However, what does the Bible teach regarding the leadership I should imitate in my life? I am learning about the balance between social status, and human services, and am currently exploring the best side to serve with my life. I have a feeling that I will be the loser in this challenge.

I also have come to accept that no creature in nature is invincible, so how could a government believe itself to be? The United States is just an likely to become extinct as the Northern Polar Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment